On todays episode we have a glass of Woodford Reserve Chocolate Malted Rye, a part of their masters collection. Its like drinking a dark chocolate bar. Woodford is a very popular brand, but their past lives are more infamous than famous. All that and more on todays episode of Whiskey Chasers!
If you enjoy the show, be sure to tell your friends about us! it really helps us out.
Thank you for listening and enjoy the show after todays sponsor.
Also, Be sure to show some love for the company that brought you todays bottle!
- Woodford has never been a favorite bottle or distillery of mine. I can be very picky and judgey when it comes to my bottles and distilleries. However, they came out with a bottle that I was more than happy to have in my collection and mainly because I read the label and found it misleading.
- Chocolate Malted Rye
- The Woodford Distillery, as we know it today, was actually previously owned by Elijah Pepper and was called the Oscar Pepper Distillery.
- The distillery itself has been through 4 sales.
- Brown Forman bought it in 1941, sold it in the late 60’s and then decided they wanted to re-purchase it in 1993.
- By 1996 it became the Woodford Distillery
- As much as I do not love Woodford, it is the better of the three others before it
- Old Crow (The distiller who worked at the pepper distillery)
- James E Pepper
- They have several products, but this master’s collection is only released twice a year and each release is said to be different due to it being an experimental series
- The fall release focuses on variation, while the spring release focuses on proof.
- They have released 17 master collection series so far.
- This bottle is the fall of 2019 and the bottles no longer look this cool or unique
- Mashbill: 70% Corn, 15% Chocolate Malted Rye, 15% Distillers Malt
- The rye is what is so special and makes this bottle more unique.
- According to Chris Morris their master distiller, “the rye malt was roasted to a level that its natural sugars caramelized into a dark chocolate note.”
- Bottled at 90.4 proof and priced at $130 MSRP
--- This episode is sponsored by · Anchor: The easiest way to make a podcast. https://anchor.fm/app Support this podcast: https://anchor.fm/whiskey-exchange/support